Please Register
To add a new moving company to our website, you must first Login or register. Thank You!

Military Moving

Military life is stressful enough, so adding a move into the mix is never going to be a welcome addition to any soldiers’ day. But don’t worry, as an active military member you have a lot of options and a lot of help available to you to ensure that any relocation, whether ordered or personal, goes smoothly and costs you as little as possible.

Once your move has been confirmed you should stop by your nearest Relocation Office. The people who staff the office are there to help you and you should take advantage of their experience and knowledge. They’ll be able to determine any allowances you are entitled to, help you plan your move, and they have a bunch of resources at their disposal that will prove invaluable to you once you receive your Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders.

There are lots of moving allowances you can potentially take advantage of, whether you are relocating within the U.S. or overseas. Of course you should never presume that you will be eligible for an allowance before you have checked with your installations finance office to verify your eligibility. They’ll be able to tell you exactly what you are entitled to and how you should go about applying for it. You can also visit this website for the official list of benefits and allowances:

Another useful source is your installations Housing Office. They’ll be able to help determine your housing allowances, find you a government home, or even find local community housing and temporary lodging at your new location.

When it actually comes time to move all your belongings, there’s a whole bunch of rules that apply to what you can and what you cannot move, so we recommend that you pay a visit to to scope out the latest rules and regulations on just what Uncle Sam is willing to pay to move you and what you will have to pay for yourself.

If you are moving overseas and you want to take a personal vehicle with you, there are a number of rules that will apply. You can find more information at but it basically boils down to: you can ship one personal vehicle that belongs to you or a member of your family at the government’s expense. That vehicle must be used by you or your family for personal use only. If you want to ship a vehicle yourself, you should speak to your installation’s Transportation Office. They’ll be able to help you with all the paperwork required for self-shipping.

All Department of Defense moves are handled through a single website:, so you should create an account there at your earliest convenience. will allow you to organize, schedule and prepare for your move. It contains resources that will allow you to research your allowances, book and track any shipments, and also file any claims you may have.

Alternatively, you can always speak to a counselor at your base’s Transportation Office. They’ll be able to give you advice and direction on how to organize your move as well as help you apply for any allowances or per-diems you may be eligible for. They will also help you decide whether it’s better to allow the government to move you or whether it would be more economical to just move yourself. Either way, you need to speak with a counselor as soon as you get your PCS orders to ensure you are moved on or before the required date.

Please Login
Hello! To leave a comment or post a review, you must first register and login to the moving review website. If you are already registered, please click here to login.

Thank You!